Taste of Salt Spring
Experience the taste of local wineries, cideries and more! Take a wildlife boat tour from Port Sidney Marina to Salt Spring Island for a day of tasting and touring.
Sidney Whale Watching is located in Sidney, BC, and is considered the gateway to the Southern Gulf Islands. Many of these islands, especially Salt Spring, have rich agricultural and artisanal communities producing wines, ciders, craft beer, and organic foods. We have combined these island offerings with a wildlife boat tour to create a unique experience both at sea and on land.
- Wildlife cruise through the Gulf Islands: enjoy 45 minutes of breathtaking landscape and exciting wildlife where you might encounter seals, sea lions, eagles, orcas, humpback whales, etc.
- Wine tasting at Garry Oak Winery: visit the terraced vineyard overlooking the beautiful Burgoyne Valley and taste their award-winning wines, especially their famous Pinot Noir.
- Lunch and Cider tasting at Salt Spring Wild Cider: relax at the cider house, a renovated horse barn facing pear and apple orchards.
- Spirit tasting at Salt Spring Shine: visit this family-owned artisanal distillery and learn about the fabrication process of their spirits fermented with local honey.
- Beer tasting at Salt Spring Island Ales: try a variety of handcrafted beers using high-quality malted barley and local hops, on the patio or in the tasting room.
- Cheese tasting at Salt Spring cheese: taste samples of artisanal goat cheese and wander around the farm to watch cheese being made through viewing windows.
- Evening cruise: relax and appreciate the breathtaking coastline of the Salish Sea.
Your local Salt Spring Island guide will tell you about the background and history of the various establishments you visit and other exciting interpretations of the island as you journey from place to place. The tour uses emissions-free vans that are running with waste vegetable oil collected from local restaurants! They are also solar-powered.