Sidney Whale Watching is a family-owned and operated company that has been serving Sidney and the Saanich Peninsula for over 20 years. We offer daily whale watching trips, culinary tours on the Gulf Islands, and charters for private events. We also run the Sidney Spit ferry.
We are a proud member of the Pacific Whale Watch Association, Indigenous Tourism BC, Destination BC and 1% for the planet. Sidney Whale Watching is operating on the traditional territories of the WSANEC First Nation.
Meet the team
Each and every one of our team members loves what we do, and therefore, we strive to make our tours as memorable as possible. We all agree that there is no better day than a day spent out on the water.
Captain and marine naturalist
CalCaptain and marine naturalist
KiaraReservation and marine naturalist
LucieCommunications & marketing coordinator
Philosophy of Stewardship
Through the teachings of his grandparents and elders, Mike Child, owner and operator of Sidney Whale Watching, has always been drawn to the traditional knowledge of Kwakiutl First Nation. He believes an inherent philosophy of stewardship and respect manifests in all legends, origin stories, and simple ways of living and knowing. The rich cultural history of the Coastal First Peoples will always depend on the continued existence of a healthy natural environment. As a business owner and operator working in the marine environment, these teachings have grown exponentially in meaning and significance to him.
That is why he built a company centered on education, awareness, and enjoyment of Orcas and other marine wildlife in and along our coastal BC waters. As Sidney Whale Watching operates on WSANEC First Nation territory and the Salish Sea (SAY-ISH), we also acknowledge our traditional hosts.
Why Choose Sidney Whale Watching?
- Get an average of 30 minutes more “whale time” on our tours than at any other departure location, as Sidney is in the middle of the Gulf Islands, home to transient killer whales, seal and sea lion colonies, sea bird roosting sites and porpoise foraging grounds.
- Our open hulled-boats are highly stable and exceptional viewing platforms; they are also equipped with hydrophones.
- We have much calmer seas in Sidney than in Victoria or Vancouver thanks to the protection of the Gulf Islands.
- We’re located only 5-minute drive from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal and Victoria airport.
- We offer free airport and ferry pick-up and drop-off.
- Our passionate and knowledgeable local guides provide a truly interactive and educational adventure.
- Guaranteed whale sightings: on the rare occasion that we might not see a whale, you are welcome to join us on another tour free of charge.